Monday, June 13, 2022

A Social View On Ecstatic Personnage

 I recently saw a local grant to artists that wanted to support artists in communities that have been traditionally marginalized. And I have to reflect as a practitioner of ecstatic arts if that would incorporate myself. Historically ecstatic practitioners have been suppressed, their ceremonies outlawed and individuals targeted, exposed and executed. This of course was mainly, but not exclusively, in Europe. This transpired to such a great degree that a traditional lineage has been for the most eradicated to the extent that such practices are totally unrecognizable to most modern people. There is no community for me to belong to at this point. An eradicated community is surely a traditionally marginalized community, but there is no community currently present to enable one to make that acknowledgement.

Representations of ecstatic behavior in modern culture have been mostly reduced to horror film tropes or relegated to naive primitivism. Anyone who would begin to experience ecstatic moments would probably be inclined to suppress themselves based on externally assimilated expectations of acceptable and healthy behavior. Those who do not or cannot control their behaviors risk being medicated or even institutionalized. I was certainly wary of sharing too much when I first started exhibiting ecstatic behavior, and it took a long time for me to be open about it. And even in so named “Ecstatic Dance” events I experienced chiding, chastising, shunning and coercive suppression. This is the degree which this behavior has become redefined and misconstrued, to the point of not being recognized for what it is.

One of the reasons ecstatic behavior has been so completely marginalized is because it is an individual expression of autonomy. It is not something that is taught or learned but organically arises. It exists outside of an externally imposed cultural structure. And so it is a threat to a cultural order, especially where there is a hierarchy of spiritual authority. But it is more radical that that. It is a threat to any internalized cultural pretense within the individual. It subverts conceptual presuppositions and exposes the individual to their own expansive personal domain of awareness, perception and experience, completely outside of any reliance on thought. It is destructive to the structure of identity itself. I myself have had to actively surrender up pretense to enable myself to more fully enter into these experiences, which when I do will rip away further emotional attachments to other notions I have of myself, often in a painful manner.

It seems prescient that the discovery of the ecstatic response in me, that which challenges and disrupts identity, came just before the emergence of social media, which gave rise to an industry of personal branding and launched a torrent of divisive, manipulative and coercive discourse. The experience of an ecstatic response is very much antithetical to this whole trajectory of modern culture. I don’t know what a community of ecstatic practitioners might be, but I would assume that their connection would be informed of the shared experience that adherence to doctrine or dogma is totally superfluous to the primacy of being.  Could I consider myself a member of a community of disparate practitioners through time and space? Could I consider myself a community of one? Might a community be concerned with advocating for those who have displayed ecstatic abilities and who have been shunned, misdiagnosed, wrongly medicated and hospitalized? However,  this all is predicated on an initial step of reintroducing to the public the organic existence of ecstatic behavior and then in educating them about a practice of it. If there is complete cultural blindness, the question of understanding and acceptance can never arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment